Sunday, August 8, 2010

factory eighth (and announcement)


Now this is a set I had a literal metric ton of. My collecting friend did too. Back in 1991 our baseball card collecting habits were in full swing. He and I collected pretty much anything our parents would buy us. It was pretty cool because he would get packs each weekend, so I was always able to see new cards all the time. 1991 Topps was no different, and we both had a bunch but I don't think either of us completed a full set. It also marked Topps 40th anniversary (they must count 1951) in the baseball card universe, much like next year will be the 60th (damn, its hard to believe this set is 20 years old...). Its an OK design, nothing fancy really and I think I felt the same way back then too. The backs are weird too, being almost a pinkish with the blue text. It is however, much better than the 1990 set with its yellow and black. This set is a fun trip trough memory lane for me. Looking at some of the cards and remembering them well. I remembered the Wade Boggs instantly, with him in a batting stance with nothing but the clouds and sky in the background, a still awesome shot. Much more action shots in this issue too, than years previous.

The second thing I wanted to address is the guessing contest I held this week. AdamE from over at Thoughts and Sox will be declared as the winner. He guessed on the first post and the first guess on the second. In each of his guesses he guessed a right year, so the box is his. The years missing from the box were 1996, 1998 and 2002. I already have your address, so I'll be shipping them out this week, I hope you find something that interests you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. Even though I didn't actually win per say, I'm happy I won.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete