Tuesday, August 14, 2012

the long and winding road.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this post.

I suppose it doesn't have a beginning at all, giving that it was inevitable. I have a bad habit of cycling through hobbies. I get into something for a couple months at a time, then something else comes along and takes it place, only to leave the preceding hobby in the dust. At least for the time being.

As much as I hate to say or admit it, I think the time has come for this one. I haven't bought much of anything baseball card related, nor even looked online for anything either. It's not to say I've given it up really, I guess it's just taken a back seat to everything else. But rather than pretend that it'll return any time soon I'd rather end it on a positive note, than have it hang in limbo. Nothing has really taken baseball cards place, I just seemed to have lost interest in collecting.

So it's official; I'm hanging up my cleats.

From the highs:

-an absolutely wonderful community and atmosphere in the blog-o-sphere
-the great trades
-the two years of loyal readers and commenters
-too much to name here, it's all been such a great experience and I'm really glad to have been a part of it


To the lows:

-I can't say there were too many lows, if any at all. It's been such a friendly and positive experience that I have zero lows that I can share. I almost hate to end things but like I said, I'd rather have a definitive end than have the blog left in limbo and uncertainty.


I have a few trade packages to send out and some other packages as well. If I put anything aside for you in the past few weeks and we haven't spoken about a trade, you'll see the cards soon enough. No need to send anything back in return, just take it as a 'thanks' for the support, the great trades and the great reads over these past two years.

See? I even had a two year mark on the blog and I didn't even mention it. That's what was the deciding factor to do this. Never mind the scant three posts I've had in the past two months.

My collection will shrink but not vanish. I still treasure a lot of the cards I've obtained and will keep them for years to come. Heck, maybe I'll still finish off that T-206 page someday.

I'm rambling, so I'll finish up here. I may pop on to read a few things here and there because the posts you guys write are still excellent but there won't be anything new from me. All in all it's been a wonderful two years and I think this sums it up nicely:


And in the end, the love you take
is equal to the love you make

26 comments:

  1. From one Blue Jays fan to another, I am very sorry to see you go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you're leaving. But I appreciate the official announcement, rather than leaving the blog hanging.

    Good luck in future endeavors. Hope you find something that gave you as much joy as card blogging did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see you go, Ted. You were one of my favorite bloggers in the card community, and yours was one of the first blogs I read when I first entered the blogosphere.

    Wherever the "long and winding road" takes you, I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never good-bye, but see you later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the owner of a bog almost exaclty the same age as yours, I'm sad to see you go. Best of luck in your next endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan's Pitch wouldn't exist without "Crinkly Wrappers", Ted.

    - You ran the first group break/draft that I ever participated in, almost a year and a half ago.

    - In a later draft, I received my first-ever T-206. A card that I NEVER thought I would be able to hold in my hand!

    - You were always more than generous with your trades, throwing in unbelievable extra's and literally giving away fantastic cards because you knew someone else would cherish them more....my daughter has her birth year Topps set ('07!) because of you. Epic!

    Those are my Crinkly highlights. Job well done and best of luck with whatever is in front of you! If there is ever anything that I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

    Fair winds and following seas, my friend.

    Ryan

    www.ryanspitch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes with whatever new paths you choose take. You will be missed, but as others said, we all appreciate the final post and update. I hate when some of my favorite bloggers simply disappear and I don't know what happened to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Farewell and good luck in all that you attempt.

    I guess we'll never find out if you'll still love us when we're sixty-four!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a good ride, see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First the sewingmachineguy...now crinkly wrappers. Bummer. I know where you are coming from. I have so many hobbies sometimes I hate how much work I put on myself. If and when you come back I'm sure they'll be plenty of us waiting in the wings to say welcome back. Until then, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck to you! You and your blog will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ted,

    You were one of the most generous traders I've ever run across. plus, your group breaks were epic (that 1954 duke snider card is a cornerstone of my collection). also, consider even without buying new cards, there's always things to blog about....if you don't continue, you will be missed. best of luck...dan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ted,
    Best of Luck to you in your future endeavors. I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog over the past few years and the great cards you've generously traded my way. If you ever get the itch to blog again, you know where to find us, we'll leave the light on for you.

    Sincerely,
    --Ryan H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cards or no cards, don't be a stranger, Ted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A big thank you to one of my inspirations! You will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wherever life takes you, enjoy it Ted. it's been a pleasure trading with you and reading your posts and following your various collections.

    I hope you return one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The hobby and the community will miss you Ted. I have always enjoyed our trades, and always felt like you out-did me once the packages were received. You're a great guy and I've enjoyed the blog for the few years I've been around the online community, it's always been one of the better blogs. Thanks for you time sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the best in whatever captures your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's been a pleasure to read your blog. Sorry to see you go. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, great ! just when I was going to subscribe to you blog -just kidding - well, enjoy whatever comes next.

    You might check out a Toronto FC game and find new beers to relish.
    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to see you go, but wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I somehow missed this post at the time.I just found out you "retired". It's better to bow out than stick with something if your heart really isn't in it. Best of luck to you in whatever you do !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I missed this too until Nachos posted it. Sorry to see you go, Ted - you were a great blogger and I'm sad because you basically started the same time as me. You my vote for "new blog of the year" that year!

    I'll miss your blogging and the occasional trade as well. Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Same as the last two, I somehow missed this post until NG mentioned it. I'm sorry to see you go. You've run a terrific blog, and I've been the beneficiary of your generosity on more than one occasion. Don't be a stranger - pop in every now and then and let us know how you're doing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete