Sunday, October 3, 2010

vintage week- day 1

Today I'm kicking off a full week of recent vintage pick ups that I've gotten recently. It started out with a few but then I found a few more really interesting cards to make it a full week. As many of you know, I really enjoy collecting vintage cards and definitely fit the bill. I like having at least one card from a vintage set, unless I'm actually able to get more. At least one card to represent is good enough for me, and five of these seven are new representations of sets for me. I'll be doing them in order from "newest" to the oldest. All of them are pre-Topps era stuff with the sole exception being today's post.

Before I get to this though, there are a few things I'd like to mention. Yesterday's Mets/Nationals game was really fun. The Mets seem so appreciative of their fanbase, much more than I've seen from any team thus far. Very great fan service and a good game too. Many back ups out there, with only a few starters. It makes sense though, neither team is in the running for the playoffs, so you might as well start a few guys you normally wouldn't, rookies and such. The other thing I wanted to mention was that Can't have too many cards is holding a cool contest celebrating his 500th post. So get on over there and win some great cards!

On with the vintage!

Today we begin with a 1953 Bowman color. Mel Parnell of the Red Sox is the example here. I have seen some of this set before and I've got to say that the photography and color on these cards is amazing for 1953. Incredible color that pops out at you immediately. Bowman must have used the best, most expensive film out there for this set and it really shows. when you look at this set, then the 1954 Bowman pictures its almost a huge letdown. Bowman did do a black and white 1953 issue as well, but that set is much smaller (64 cards as opposed to colors 160) and the cards seem a little harder to find. With this pick up I only need a card from 1948 and 1950 for at least one of each original Bowman set. Stay tuned for tomorrow's vintage!

No comments:

Post a Comment