Tuesday, January 10, 2012

retail fun

I had to run to Target today after work for some kitty food. Of course, no Target trip is complete without a trip to the card isle. I picked up one of the 100 card repacks for five bucks. We've all seen them. Some of us have even dared to buy them. I think they're fun, you never know what you'll get inside.


Let's see how I did.

Pete Rose with that helmet and helmet-hair. This is from the 1987 All-Star set.

Tom Tresh Pacific Baseball Legends. I have this set so he isn't much use to me but at least its not 1989 Topps. There were a couple of those.

This nice diamond cut 1987 Donruss Fred Lynn. Yep. We're in repack country.

This set was a super premium set back in 1993. We know that Derek Jeter's most valuable rookie comes from this set (books at about $150) but rarely do you see these in a repack. Sure they're worthless now but in 1993 they were huge.

They were also nice enough to give me three, count 'em THREE Randy Myers rookies from Fleer Update. Should I get them graded?

This was the best. I am all for getting 1990 Leaf. It's a set I never bought as a young'n but really appreciate now. I like it's design and it was a premium set for the day. I surely don't need five of these bad boys though.


It wasn't a total bust though. I did end up with some cards for the PC, like two Blue Jays, a batting pitcher, a guy from Connecticut and a Rookie Cup of Larry Walker from 1991 Topps (I think I have it though). There were also five vintage cards! Well, three depending on if you count 1981 Topps vintage. If not, then three;

1976-221 Jim Todd
1977-559 Alan Bannister
1979-654 Rick Miller


See? Never know what you'll get. Sure I had to wade through 1987, 88 and 89 Topps and 1991 Upper Deck, 1989 Donruss but with stuff like this who's complaining?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see another collector who appreciates the 1990 Leaf set. It was one of the first high end sets I ever built... although it's not really high end anymore.

    ReplyDelete