Saturday, September 11, 2010

you never know...

Sometimes while browsing on eBay, you come across a seller who has a card you like. You check out their other items and on occasion, you'll find something a bit....different than what you were looking for. This is one such instance. While searching for some Mark Teixeira relics for the wife (she really wasn't a baseball fan until we went to New York last weekend and then decided that her favorite player is now him), I came across a 2003 Leaf Certified Materials relic. It was definitely cheap enough to warrant the purchase (buy-it-now for $1), so I decided to check out his other items, and I ran across this:

Its a 1910 Mecca Cigarettes T218 Champion Athletes and Prize Fighter Series. I had no idea who he was, so I checked him out on Wikipedia. He won three Olympic gold medals in 1904, and a silver in 1908. Originally the seller had it at $9.99 buy-it-now, but I didn't bite. Good thing too because once it ended he put it back up but with the new price of $4.99. Then I bit. It arrived today, a new tobacco card for the collection. I like checking out what sellers have to offer, because you just never know what you may come across...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a great deal. It's def really fun to get a card a checkout the history about the player. Good Stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! I love tobacco cards.

    ReplyDelete