...I need your help!
It's poll time!
I need everyone to vote to the right on which set I plan on collecting next. I mentioned in my last post how 1973 is wrapping up nicely. The blue checklists are on their way, as are the 11 cards from Check out my Cards. That leaves me with three cards left that I hope to pick up this weekend at the card show. I also mentioned that I had determined which set to collect next.
Well, in a way I have but I picked two and I can't decide which I want to collect, so I need your help.
I'll show the set and list it's pros and cons and be sure to vote on the right which one you think is best to go for.
- a classic set and design that remains one of the most popular sets in Topps' history
- full of Hall of Fame players
- team cards and rookie cups (trophies really)!
- no "huge" rookies
- highest "booking" card at $150 (Clemente and Ryan)
- a monster of a set at 752 cards
- large number of short prints (over 100)
- good shape cards are expensive, no matter the player
- defines the 70's with its awesome two-tone color borders
- full of great players (a given for any 1970's set?)
- three big rookies (Brett, Yount and Carter) that won't break the bank
- zero short prints
- smaller set at 660 cards
- the closer you get to the 80's, the less the sets sell for (meaning maybe cheaper to buy outright as opposed to hand collating it)
- buying lots on eBay can lead to getting mini versions if you're not careful reading the auction (not that minis are bad)
The whole point being that I really had fun chasing the 1973 set and I've noticed when I collect a set myself, as opposed to just buying it outright, I tend to appreciate it more. I notice I've looked through that 1973 set binder multiple times and sets I've bought complete I've looked at once maybe twice. Plus it's just a ton more fun making a set yourself. collecting, trading, hitting a show, all good things. So please, help me out and help decide which set I should chase next. I have very few cards from either so thats not a factor on which I should go for more and would essentially be starting each from scratch, like the '73. The poll will end April 1st.
I think with my more conservative approach with this years product, I think chasing a vintage set is a better idea. I'm not hating on Topps and will continue to sample each set but nothing on the radar screams 'collect me' this year, aside from the base set.
Blazers of Prestige
3 hours ago