Thursday, October 13, 2011

sometimes card people are the worst...

Not you guys. The eBay guys. You know the type, rip n' flip, not a real collector but someone who buys up cards and packs and cases just to make a buck. More than likely uses Beckett as the be all end all of pricing? Yeah, those guys. I feel that eBay is the best type of forum to determine a cards real value. Sure auto/relics of semi-stars and no name players go for five bucks and they probably shouldn't. If it's not a hot rookie, a player from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or Braves or an old timer, that card probably won't go for much. Thats where we step in. When we can grab our favorite players at a steal of a deal, it's just plain awesome.

Now here is what spurred this. I was trolling the 'Bay for some high end, just released autos/relics of Jays. Stuff from Marquee and Triple Threads, you know. I had came across a sweet Kyle Drabek auto dual patch from Marquee. Problem was, the auction was over. I checked the other ended items just for ha-has (more on that in a second) and found that this seller had listed this card twice. It didn't sell either time, so I decided to send him a message.

Dear XXXXX (seller),
Just curious if you still had the Drabek from 2011 Marquee. I didn't see it until tonight and the auction had already ended. If you're willing to sell, I'd be good for $14.00 including shipping. Let me know, thanks.
- XXXXX (me)


Now, keep in mind that this card was listed at a starting bid of $12.99 and $3.00 shipping, which I would totally be willing to pay (its a sweet card) and it didn't sell twice so I figured $14 was reasonable. Here was his response:

Dear XXXXX (me),

Yes still have the Drabek... I will sell it for $25 shipped.

TY,
----

- XXXXX (seller)


Huh? What happened here that doubled the cards value? I know that Marquee isn't cheap but a card goes for what it goes for. Here is what I responded back with:

Dear XXXXX (seller),

Are we talking about the same card? You had it at $12.99 starting bid, it ended twice with no bids. I figured if I caught it before it had ended I would have gotten it for $16 after shipping, so I thought $14 was a fair offer seeing as how it didn't sell twice.

- XXXXX (me)


Am I being out of line? I don't think so but here is his response:

Dear XXXXX (me),

Oh damn...sorry I am going to hold onto that card...He might turn out to be awesome.

Thanks though,

----

- XXXXX (seller)


So....you're willing to potentially sell for $12.99, until I show a little interest? Now, I checked the completed items. This exact card, not a parallel or anything, went for as low as $2.25. The last six that ended went for this (that sold, that is):

$12.99
$7.99
$7.50
$2.25
$3.25
$12.07

The two that ended around $12 were just as nice, if not nicer than his. Meaning one window had a multi-color patch and the other a white swatch. The other four were white swatch/grey swatch combos. This guy clearly wants too much for his stuff as soon as a little interest is shown. Looking at his other items, he has other cards up for way too much (all buy it nows). Its guys like this that kill this hobby, that follow Beckett's every word and whim and sell for as much as they feel a card is worth as opposed to true market value. Hey, whatever, I'll gladly buy from someone else once the opportunity arises. I just figured he may want the sale. Sure he may someday sell the card for $25 but after relisting it so many times, eBay gets their cut each time, thus lowering his overall profit. Good luck with the $25 dope!

Here is the card (but not his):

See, its awesome. His has a black/blue/silver patch on the left. Something will come up and I'll grab it for the right price.

7 comments:

  1. Patience is a Virtue. Although there is a fine line between waiting for prices to come down and the cards pretty much disappearing and only these jackholes with those cards for sale for twice book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said, he's just looking to make a few bucks off of the card. He'll be holding on to it for quite a while...his loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I'm tracking a card like this now. PRAYING this doesn't happen to me1

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow Drabek collector, and just as a fellow card collector I can tell you that what you offered was more than fair. What an idiot! "He might turn out to be awesome..." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. THATS why we form the community we have. some of us might negotiate trades with a hard line, but at least its a trade - and we know we all love these cards we battle over.
    on the money side, if every card on ebay was cheap, we wouldnt feel the steal of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't say that it's guys like this that kill the hobby, it's guys that hugely overpay that kill the hobby. As long as there are still other cards being listed, he can (stupidly) do what he wants.

    ReplyDelete