Friday, June 22, 2012

what are the odds?


All Topps baseball cards from 1995 onward have the given odds on the back of the packs.

Since buying packs of baseball cards are almost essentially gambling, I suppose it's nice of them to give you your odds of 'winning' your prize. I'll be using the odds from 2012 Topps series 2 for this here post.

Introduced in series 1 back earlier in the year, series 2 had these inserts as well:

The Golden Moments inserts. Drab to look at due to them being made especially for the autos and relics. These fall 1 in 4 packs.



Speaking of the autos, the Golden Moments autos will run about 1 in 335 packs. Those are tough odds but usually your auto from series 2 comes on one of these cards more often than not. Chad here is from series 1 but I had no other auto to show from this insert set.



Or do I? this MONSTER hit came from a pack at the local shop last night. I was quite stunned to find such greatness in a basic flagship Topps pack. This is numbered 08/10 and the foil parallels fall at a whopping 1 in 11,800 packs. Now those are some tough odds and have to be the absolute biggest pull odds-wise for me. Garvey isn't in the Hall but perhaps he should be.


Normally when buying packs you don't beat the odds but I think it's safe to say even after buying 8 packs, I demolished them.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic pull, Ted! That's one of the nicest autos I've seen lately.

    I've never gotten anything close to that in anything I've opened, much less from a basic Topps pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pull for sure. What will it take to get it from you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific pull. Too bad the design is horrid. Garvey deserves better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Garvey has a pretty solid looking auto in general.

    gcrl- I'm not sure on what I am doing with it yet but if it goes on the trading block, you'll have first shot at it.

    night owl- The design is horrid and he does deserve better, along with every other player who has the same insert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice.... i got a freddie freeman auto numbered 08/10 ...any idea what its value is??

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Freeman numbered 09/10 went for $50.99 but I feel its worth much more than that. An easy almost $100 card. He's a great young talent on that team and I see his stuff just going up for the time being.

    ReplyDelete