Monday, January 16, 2012

some stuff

A few things I've been meaning to talk about on the ol' blog here, so let's get to it.

==========
Ok, so my previous post was just a good excuse to show my new Old Judge card but it actually turned into good debate about what makes a card vintage. I'm glad it did too because its a pretty debatable topic due to it not being clearly defined but then again nor should it. A ten year old may consider 1994 vintage but anyone born in the early 80's (or earlier for that matter) would understand but also look at them like they're crazy. Either way, it's up to the collector to define what they consider a vintage card or set. A good topic for debate indeed.

==========
I recently completed a trade from Tony over at The (Common) Card Man, aka the Milwaukee Southpaw. Tony helped out with the final card I needed for Update, some Stickers and some Kimball Champions, totally helping me along with finishing up those two sets. Thanks Tony!

==========

Two new blogs on the 'sphere here that deserve some attention.

First is Dime Boxes -- The Low-End Baseball Card Collector's Journey. He focuses on, you guessed it, dime box cards but looking at them in a new light that most collectors wouldn't; the stories behind them. Most sellers or collectors see a 5000 count box full of commons, he sees countless stories of baseball history and has a vast knowledge of said history as well. He and I have many of the same collecting interests, which is what drew me to his blog in the first place but his writing is a million times better than anything you'll read on this blog here. Check him out, you won't be disappointed.

Secondly, a blog I just stumbled upon the other day, Condition Sensitive. The focus here being the legendary 1971 Topps set and the Colorado Rockies. He talks about the various errors and variations that are abound in the 71 set and makes up his own custom cards too but with a twist. He'll take designs of other cards or sports and makes them into baseball cards. Great idea and I can't wait to see more of them (especially the baseball guys on the football designs)!

==========
I went a little nuts last week and went on a bender to finish my 2011 Update legends variations set. I kind of neglected it and figured I should finish it up before 2012 hits. I got them wicked cheap too, many for $3.99 and free shipping to boot. The most I paid I think was $7.99 for the Babe Ruth. I'll take it. Guess it was a good thing I waited.

On the flip side though I have COMPLETELY ignored 2009. I really want to finish up that year but some of the cards from series 1 and 2 are becoming scarce. The Update cards are easy enough but searches on eBay for some S1&2 proved to be vapor. Nada for many of them. I did find a Babe Ruth card 1 variation, but was selling for $35. Way more than what I would like to pay. I'll find 'em someday.

==========
That about does it. It's just a few things I had bouncing around my head and needed to get down here. One last note, if anyone has any Kimball Champions I need PLEASE let me know! I'll trade big for them! I want the set done as soon as possible!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for pimpin my site, nice to see someone actually has seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news, following up my e-mail from last night. I found three Kimballs you need:

    109, 118, 135

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning my blog, Ted!

    Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete